Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hospital Maternity Gown and a Pezzy baby quilt

 


Happy New Year everyone!  I hope your year has gotten off to a great start.  I have been a busy bee lately. Lots of sewing has been done in January.  First off, my best friend is expecting a baby boy soon.  As requested I made her a hospital gown so she would look fabulous in those first moment photos.  I used a free pattern found at Lazy Girl Designs here.  Its a great pattern, very easy to follow, and makes a great gift.  Some changes I made were rounding out the neckline and using snaps at the shoulders.
applying snaps
Hospital gown
happy friend

Of course I had to make her a baby quilt.  I found this awesome tutorial at the Moda Bakeshop by Alyssa of Pile O' Fabric.  I had seen the quilt a while ago and loved it, and so this was the perfect opportunity to make one myself. 
Appliques ready to be cut out
I usually like to finish a quilt with hand stitched binding but I did not have the time to do it on this one.  Kelly's video (of Kelby Sews) on using invisible thread to finish the binding was super helpful.  At first I had some issues getting the thread on the bobbin, but after that was done it was smooth sailing.  Normally, I don't like the way my machine sewn binding looks, but this technique is one I will use again in the future.

invisible thread binding
DSC_1323
pezzy baby quilt
The great thing about this quilt is the size, it will definitely be able to be used on a toddler bed instead of just as a baby quilt.  I'm so happy she liked my gifts.  I really enjoy making handmade gifts instead of just going to a store and buying something off a shelf.  She liked the quilt so much she requested a matching pillow which is in the works now. 
 
Thanks for reading!
 
Melissa








2 comments:

  1. Love the quilt -and- the idea of a hospital gown. That would feel so much nicer than one of the hospital ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Right after giving birth is such a big moment thats almost always photographed. Why not look fabulous if you can :^) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete