Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Happy New Year 2014

Happy New Year everyone!  I hope your year has started of wonderfully.  Again, I have been busy sewing, just not writing.  First, a recap of some of my favorite projects from 2013.  The trend I noticed was lots of small projects.  There were no major quilts made aside from a couple of baby quilts.
2013 was definitely a year full of swaps.  I made so many items for other people and received lots of beautiful things in return.
My favorite was the X-Factor swap on Flickr.  I participated in every round because I just could not resist.  Each round I told myself I was sitting this one out and then I'd see the entries and had to participate.  My couch is so full of rainbowy goodness, it makes me happy every day to see so many lovelies from around the world.

2013 by cutsewpresslove
2013, a photo by cutsewpresslove on Flickr.
1. Les Amis baby quilt 2, 2. DSC_4065, 3. sewing summit secret swap, 4. DSC_3886, 5. Giant Dresden, 6. Double Hexy Delight, 7. PTS 10 finished, 8. DSC_4035, 9. DSC_2505 (2), 10. weekender side A, 11. Circle Celebration Pillow, 12. FLiQ complete, 13. AMHPP1, 14. Swirling Medallion Quilt, 15. Pickledish mini, 16. Simply Modern and Pezzy

I made some Christmas pillows to sell in my Etsy shop.  Only one sold via Instagram thanks to the help of the wonderful Terri of Sew Fantastic.  I tried some new designs using raw edge applique and some different free motion quilting.
DSC_4003
Paisley quilting is my new favorite FMQ design.  Inspired of course by the ever amazing Angela Walters.  I always go to her books for inspiration.  Its nice to add a new skill to my repertoire.
DSC_4013

DSC_4022
DSC_4035
I also designed and made these wall art hoops.  There are still some left in the shop as well.
DSC_4051
DSC_4065
DSC_4060
This journal cover was created for  my quilting notebook.  Its way cuter than that ugly black and white camo print.  Sewing with real linen is not near as fun as using Essex linen.  It was so flimsy and shifty.  Still the result was a success so I am happy.  I used a tutorial from Stitched In ColorUntitled
A few of these ornaments were included into sold hoop orders as a thank you.
Untitled
Last, but not least is my first finish of 2014.  A belated Christmas gift for my mother.  I used leftover Anna Maria Horner scraps from when I made this pillow with a few solids mixed in.  I went with paisley quilting again because why not!  Seriously, after making this pillow I am now in the I LOVE AMH fan club.  I never understood the obsession some bloggers had with her fabrics but now I am a total convert.  The way her designs and colors work together is so amazing and beautiful, I cannot get enough.  This year I am planning to make a new queen sized spectrum quilt for our bedroom from her fabrics only.  I love my Swoon quilt but its time for a change.   I do dread the thought of quilting a queen sized quilt on my machine so we'll see how that goes.
AMHPP1
I have to note that when I make my patchwork pillows like this I do not sew each and every teeny square together one by one.  I use this cheater method from Oh Fransson.  I love it and highly recommend it.  Using the fusible makes this a quick and fun project.
AMHPP3
Well, now I think I am all caught up.  I won't even get into plans for this year.  Day by day is how I'm taking it.  Congratulations if you made it to the end of this pic heavy post ;)  As always, thank you so much for reading and for joining me on my sewing journey.  Again, Happy New Year friends!

Melissa

4 comments:

  1. So much loveliness!! Especially love your mum's cushion!!
    Andi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I love them all but especially the AMH pillow. I was slow to warm up to her fabrics too and now it's some of my most precious stash!

    ReplyDelete