Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Washi Dress

Last week Rae of Made by Rae released the pattern to her much anticipated Washi Dress.  After talking myself out of it for a few hours, I finally gave in and bought the pattern.  I am so glad I did.  The dress was fun to make, and so easy I was surprised.  I kept waiting for the complicated part but I never got frustrated once.  It took me a couple of days to make because of the boys and household stuff, but I think it could be done in a day with a few dedicated hours.  I do suggest cutting out everything one night and then have another day to put it all together.

The fabric I used is Wrenly Wildfield in Gypsy by Valori Wells.  How can you not love rainbow dandelions.  It was supposed to be for my Tova but the Washi Dress pattern seemed to be perfect for this fabric.  I love it so much and can't wait to wear it out.

washi dress

As I stated on instagram, I am petite at 5'2, but with 36DD nursing boobs. I cut out a size medium, made a muslin, and felt that I didnt need to do a Full Bust Adjustment.

washi dress

  The shirring in the back allows the front to fit nice and snug but not too snug  No boob smushing. 

washi dress back shirring
I didn't see any weird gaping on the sides either.  The only change I made was on the skirt part where I cut some off of the width of the dress.

side adjustment

 Next time I will just grade the pattern from a size medium bust to a small skirt.  I had to cut the pockets and resew them but it worked out fine.  The pockets are pretty sweet by the way.

washi dress

I like the bias tape to finish the armholes.
attaching bias tape

Its pretty on the inside too.

washi dress inside view

washi dress inside view

washi dress

In a wrap, I think this is a great pattern. Easy to follow instructions, with a great end result.  It feels so good to have made a dress I absolutely love!


1 comment:

  1. I've been holding onto this fabric. It looks great for this dress! I'm hoping I won't have to make a FBA either.

    ReplyDelete